Butter chicken, also known as murgh makhani, is a curry made from chicken pieces and a special sauce. The sauce is made out of a spices mix, tomatoes, yogurt, and butter. It was created by Kundan Lal Gujral in North India, initially as a way to prevent Tandoori Chicken from drying out. Butter chicken can be eaten on its own, but can also be combined with pizzas (It's surprisingly good), samosas, and other foods.
Despite what you may think, butter chicken is young.
It was made by aforementioned Kundan Lal Gujral in 1948.
Kundan was a buisness man, and he sold Tandoori Chicken
(pieces of chicken marinated in spices and yogurt, and cooked over coal).
He noticed that if not sold, the Tandoori Chicken would dry out quickly.
He created a solution:
A basic gravy, with tomatoes, butter, cream, and some spices.
He then placed the chicken into the sauce, and that kept the moisture in.
And now, he has created the best chicken to exist.
Over time, the recipe has changed slightly and improve upon, and it is one of the most popular Indian curries in the world. It is now commonly served with roti on the side, but you can use it on pizzas, inside of samosas, as a pie filling, and possibly more.
- 5-6 Chicken Fillets
- 250ml Fresh cream
- 2 Tomatoes
- 125g of butter
- Suhana Butter chicken spice sachet
- A handful of Coriander (for garnish)
- 1tsp Ginger garlic
- Salt to taste (Decide your own amount)
- 1tsp Chicken Spice
- 1tsp BBQ spice
- Slice the chicken into small blocks (around 2cm by 2cm)
- Mix the chicken in the marinate ingredients, and leave it alone for 30 minutes
- Grate the tomatoes, then saute the grated tomatoes in a frying pan, then leave the grated tomatoes aside when cooked
- Add the butter into a pot, then add the chicken into the pot
- Let the chicken cook until its tender, but not hard
- Add the tomatoes into the pot
- Let it cook for a further 5 minutes
- In a separate bowl, Take your butter chicken spice, and add it to your fresh cream
- Pour the bowl into the chicken, and let it cook for 5-10 minutes
- Dish and serve with rotis